Saturday, June 15, 2013

On Chik-Fil-A and gay marriage

There's a new Chik-Fil-A fast food chain operation opening on State and Lake streets in the Loop. Last Thursday I was walking through Daley Plaza and there was a line of people. They pass out a lot of free samples around the Loop, so I had a look. It was Chik-Fil-A passing out free chicken sandwiches. I walked on. But I crossed the street and had to admit to myself that as much as I hate Chik-Fil-A because of their hate politics, I wanted to try one of their sandwiches. I was told they were not very good sandwiches and, well, I just had to find out for myself.

I found Chik-Fil-A sandwiches pretty consistent with their hostility towards gays: too salty and served inexplicably with a pickle.

The sandwich tasted like the cafeteria food they use to feed us in our college dorm or something you'd get at a 7-11. The bun was squishy and tasted a little doughy and undercooked (or maybe that was from moisture in the foil bag the sandwich came in. The sandwich had way too much salt--sure to make even a strapping young lad's blood pressure blow through the roof! The sandwich was pretty tasteless, but in a way, I don't mind it.

How such mediocre and bland tasting ever became so successful is beyond me! Here's my theory of  why I believe Chik-Fil-A makes such a public stink about how much they hate gays:

The don't have to pay for their advertising and because the package it as controversy and attach themselves to the flow of media--like a leech onto a fish. The media goes along with it because the they use the controversy of their anti-gay message as a news item. Moreso, both parties hide behind the pretense of religious beliefs. Our country has such fervent passion about religious rights, that it becomes an enabler.

Will I ever walk into a Chik-Fil-A? No, not if I can help it. Then again, I am surprised I even bother to try the damn sandwich. I believe they are a shameful and pathetic business worth avoiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment